Plains, plateaus, district, woods
The Base This is the high plateau or base on which the Peak stands, thus the top of the cliffs girding the island 800-2,000 feet above sea-level.
Below-the-hill The location of this district is not mentioned in the literature. Acc. to Prof Munch it is south of Boatharbour.
Boatswain’s Piece A small district on the NW plain, origanally the place where an earliy settler had his own plot.
Burntwood A district at the west end of the Base where firewood was once burnt.
By-the-big-Piece A small district near the Patches.
The Calf Piece A small district on the NW plain.
Calfyard A place near Stony Hill where wild calves were marked.
Derrick This point is named after William Daley, an American who arrived in 1836.
East End of Sandy Point See Sandy Point.
East End of Jew’s Point Jew’s Point is a collective name for East and West End of Jew’s Point as well as the intervening country. The name refers to a Jew who was rescued from the Joseph Somes, which exploded off Halfway Beach in 1856.
Farmost Point This point is also called Rookery Point. It seems to correspond to Torch Point found on Denham’s Survey (1852) as well as the Admiralty chart (1939). This name is from HMS Torch, the tender of Captain Denham’s ship, HMS Herald.
Glass Point This point was named after Corporal William Glass, the Governor of the island up to 1853.
Green Head The name is from Pter Green who was shipwrecked on Tristan in 1836 and died there in 1902.
Hagan Point See Big Point.
Hardy Point This point is near West point of the island.
Herald Point The name is from Captain Denham’s ship HMS Herald. It is usually referred to as Hottentot Point by the islanders (‘Hotner Point’), Tradition reports that there were Hottentots among the original garrison from the Cape.
Little Beach Point This is the point between Big Beach and Little Beach. It is sometimes also called Malcolm Point after Fort Malcolm, an earthwork built by Captain Cloete in 1816. On Crawford’s Survey of the Settlement the point is named Julia Point after the brig Julia. Cf Julia Reef.
Lowcliff Point This is one of the old names appearing on Denham’s Survey (1852).
Lyon Point This point was so named by Crawford after Rear-Admiral D’Oyly Lyon, the Commander-in-Chief of the African Station at Simonstown. When referred to from the south is was called the West-End-of-Trypot, and when referred to from the north side it was called the East-End-of-Noisy-Beach by the islanders.
Marie Riley Point This lies just east of Herald Point. It was named after Marie Riley, who assisted the Rev. W.F. Taylor in teaching the younger children in the 1850’s.
Miller Point As this name is indicated on Denham’s Survey (1852), it must refer to Peter Miller, a Dane who arrived in 1836.
Rookery Point See Farmost Point.
Sandy Point This is the easternmost point of the island.
South Point The southernmost point of the island, only indicated on Denham’s Survey.
Stonybeach Point A point in Stony Beach.
Stonyhill Point A point southeast of Stony Hill.
Taylor Head Probably named after Charles Taylor who arrived in the late 1830’s. The name is, however, not indicated in Denham’s Survey.
West End of Jew’s Point See East End of Jew’s Point.