Bays, beaches, caves
The Archway Cave A big cave bnear Seal Bay. It is probably identical with the Archways.
Big Beach The big beach where the factory was built. It was buried by the lava in 1961.
Blacksand Beach A beach south of Pike’s House.
Boatharbour A small bay near the Patches.
Calshot Harbour The new harbour completed in 1967.
Carlisle Beach The place where H.M.S. Carlisle was forced to land in 1932.
The Caves On Crawford’s Survey of Tristan Settlement this name indicates the caves in the cliffs above Big Bay. Holdgate, on the other hand, uses the name for the caves at Cave Point. Cf. the Pond.
Cotton Bay Named after Alexander Cotton, who arrived in 1821.
Cow Bay This is one of the old names on Denham’s Survey. It probably refers to the time when there were numerous sea-elephants near the island, where the cows used to bree. Cf. the nearby Elephant Bay.
Daley Beach A beach north of Sandy Point. It is named after William Daley.
Deadman’s Bay This is the place where the body of a dead man was once washed ashore.
Down-where-the minister-landed-his-things This is the place where the Rev. and Mrs. J.G. Barrow landed with some of their belongings during a storm in 1906.
East Beach On this name cf. the discussion of the concepts ‘east’ and ‘west’ in Nature.
Elephant Bay, see Sea Elephant Bay
Falmouth Bay This name, indicated on Denham’s Survey, is from H.M.S. Falmouth which anchorted there in 1816. The bay was alter called Little Beach. Falmouth Bay is recorded as early as 1817. The beach was buried by the lava in 1961.
Gane’s Beach This name is after Douglas M. GAne, the London solicitor who acted as Honorary Secreteary onf the Tristan da Cunha Fund and contributed to the island’s welfare in a number of ways. This beach was called Swain Bay on Denham’s Survey.
Garden Gate Beach A beach just north of the Settlement. It was spared by the lava in 1961.
Halfway Beach This beach lies just north of Pike’s House.
Little Beach See Falmouth Bay.
Noisy Beach The roar of the sea gave this beach its name.
On-the Sand A beach south of Anchorstock Gulch but also a sandy area near Stony Hill.
Phoenix Beach The name is from a Tristan boat that was wrecked here.
The Pool This names indicates the caves near Crawford Point on Crawford’s Survey.
Quest Bay This is the western part of Big Beach where the Quest, Sir Ernest Shackleton’s ship landed in 1922.
Runaway Beach The beach where the seals and sea-elephants used to flock in thte early days. To go ‘Elephant Bay way’ means to go in a south-westerly direction from the Settlement. Sea Elephant Bay is marked on Denham’s Survey.
Seal Bay This name indicates that seals were once common at Tristan. On Denham’s Survey Shedden Cove is used.
Small Beach A name given by the returning islanders in 1963 to a small beach which was spared by the lava.
Snell’s Beach The beach where one Mr. Snell fell into the sea in 1932.
Stony Beach A beach with a steep strip of shingle.
Stonybeach Bay On the Admiralty chart this bay seems to indicate the northern part of Stony Beach.
Swain Bay This name on Denham’s Survey commemorates the arrival of Thomas Swai in 1826. It was later changed to Gane’s Beach.
Trypot Bay See Trypot.