What Happened in March ? …
1671 The new governor [Richard Coney] arrives accompanied by Richard Noakes the new chaplain. Noakes was one chaplain among several during this period in history who causes social unrest – mainly by drinking too much.
1681 Sixty-six free planters, who were ordered by the East India Company to help with island defence works, claimed payment for the work done. The governor stated their claims were unreasonable but eventually paid 30% of the amount they claimed.
1682 A seaman, left in St Helena to recover from sickness was found to be skilled in mathematics, navigation and other sciences. Because of this he was allowed the privileges of a free planter. Later, because he had been uncivil to the governor he was deported.
1690 Jack – a son of Black Oliver, was charged with an offence even though there was no evidence against him. The jury at the trial found him not guilty but he was still flogged anyway before being discharged. In March 1690 there are several reports of quarrels and discontent among the islands population.
1710 The Great Wood [which used to extend from Deadwood Plain to Prosperous Bay Plain] is reported as not having one tree left. A was passed to encourage tree planting. It was feared the island would be utterly ruined in 20 years if the tree planting law was not successful.
1717 In February of this year the heavy surf smashed a boat with cargo to pieces. In March, after five days of heavy surf, the crane was broken and the newly built wharf was entirely ruined.
1723 The weather is reported as not being kind for the last four years. Wood is reported as very scarce and the islanders still need encouragement to plant trees.
1725 A good rainy season is reported at last. Gumwood plants have sprung from seed in several parts of the island.
1781 The fortifications at Sandy Bay are extensively damaged by a large torrent of water following heavy rain. In 1787 Ruperts suffered a similar fate.
1794 It is eighty-four years since it was thought the island would be utterly ruined within 20 years if tree planting was not successful. The Court of Directors of the East India Company is still urging the Governor and Council in St Helena to encourage tree planting as it is of the utmost importance to the island. Even in those days is was known the tree leaves attract moisture from the air which then drips down to the ground. The Directors encouraged tree planting to limit the effects of drought. In 1795 the report of the Gardener at the Longwood Estate still describes total neglect of de-forested areas and foresees the condemnation of his generation, because of this neglect, by the many generations to follow.
1802 A census counts 893 military personnel, 122 families and civil servants, 241 planters, 227 freed slaves and 1,029 slaves. A total population of 2,511.
1807 An epidemic of measles has affected every family on the island. A fleet of ships arriving from the Cape brought the desease to the island.
1840 A Vice Admiralty Court is established in St Helena to give judgement in cases were ships crews are charged with slave trading.
1849 Church lands are conveyed to the Bishop in Cape Town.
1853 Saul Solomon is buried.
1872 The Hussey Charity takes responsibility for running the Parish School of St Matthews.
1878 Womens Society is formed [St Helena Church Provident Society for Women].
1884 Hudson Janisch dies on the 19th.
1897 A flushing Dam is constructed at the head of Jamestown.
1909 Road Tax introduced at 3 shillings per year [15p].
1914 Work starts on reconstructing the wharf – again. In 1915 the wharf is enlarged.
1918 The St Helena Volunteer Sharpshooters become St Helena Rifles.
1930 Four bee hives are imported.
1955 Longwood Old House Museum is reopened to the public.
1962 A branch of the RSPCA is set up in St Helena.
1965 SHG grants Frank Robb & Associates [FRASHI] a license to set up a fishing industry.
1966 A severe influenza epidemic causes several deaths.
1969 SHG takes a 32% share in Solomons & Co and reserves the right to take a further 30% stake.
1975 An expert arrives to advise on the cause and prevention of rock falls in Chapel Valley.
1980 Decision taken to demolish the unsafe spire of St Jamess church.
1981 An expert arrives to microfilm the archived civil records. In 1989 the parish registers are microfilmed.
1986 A new power station is opened in Ruperts Valley.
1988 The Friends of St Helena is formed in Cheltenham UK.
1995 Television is introduced to the island at a charge of £5 per month for a 24-hour news station.
1996 Dianas Peak, Cuckold Point and Mount Actaeon designated a National Park.