What Happened in May

1693  No executioner available to carry out the sentence on three mutineers.  One of the mutineers is spared, so he can execute the other two.

1705  Two burglars are whipped then sent to Borneo where workers are needed.

1716  Men named French and Wrangham figure in reports of fights and arguments. 

1719  The parson’s negligence of funeral duties causes the governor to order no gratuities to be paid without his signature.

1725  Furze is planted to mark planters’ boundaries.  Destined to become another invasive species.

1741  Governor Jenkins arrives to take up office.  His house is still at Lemon Grove, Sandy Bay.

1771  Captain Cook makes his first visit to St Helena.

1778  Three soldiers desert and leave the island in a cutter.  They are presumed to be drowned at sea.

1785  A munitions store near the Castle is accidentally blown up.  Two people are killed.

1797  Decision taken to fortify Ladder Hill on the land side – to withstand any possible siege.

1810  A fleet of 22 East Indiamen arrive in James Bay.

1828  Governor Dallas orders the munitions store to be moved out of Jamestown to Ladder Hill.

1839  Slavery is abolished in St Helena.

1843  A market is established in Jamestown on its present site.

1861  First publication of the St Helena Guardian.

1863  A severe influenza epidemic.  People fed from soup kitchens.

1870  300 poor people attend a public meeting and tell the government they wish to emigrate.

1875  Publication of St Helena by JC Melliss.

1882  A theatre is opened in Jamestown barracks.

1887  A serious measles outbreak makes the hospital seem like the London Underground rush hour.

1892  Experiment in breeding silkworms and cotton cultivation by Rev. Daine.

1900  Severe epidemic of influenza causes 75 deaths.

1907  183 St Helenians emigrate to work at the Namaqualand mines.

1910  The Eastern Telegraph Co. [Cable & Wireless] transfer their cable repair vessels to St Helena.

1921  The former Sultan of Zanzibar leaves St Helena on the Cawdor Castle as a prisoner.

1922  The St Helena Football League is formed.

1928  Repairs started to Plantation House after destruction by white ants make it uninhabitable.

1932  The Run bursts its banks causing widespread flooding.

1940  Formation of the St Helena Home Guard.

1945  Victory Sports Day on Francis Plain.

1951  The foundation stone is laid for St Helena and the Cross church.

1960  The St Helena Life Boat Life Saving Institution is formed.

1963  First ever registration of electors begins.

1971  St Martin in the Hills is dedicated.

1973  St Helena suffers from a severe drought.

1980  The St. Helena Heritage Society open the Broadway House museum.

1982  The RMS St Helena is requisitioned for use by the British Task Force in the Falklands.

1983  The first carnival is held on the island.

1986  2,863 people sign a citizenship petition to be sent to the President of the European Parliament.

1987  The three day work scheme is started.

1990  The Market is re-opened after refurbishment.

1991  Nineteen survivors of a Saudi Arabian oil tanker explosion arrive on the island.

1993  St Helena Day celebrations includes sealing a ‘time capsule’ to be opened in 2193.

1994  Reservoir at Harper’s valley becomes operational.

1996 The chapel at Rupert’s Valley is dedicated.

Acknowledgement is due to St Helena Heritage Society’s ‘St Helena 500’ compiled by Robin Gill & Percy Teale